Sport

Moroccan spur to QPR's bid for the play-offs

March 18 - 24, 2009
244 views

GULF AIR-sponsored QPR have signed teenage Tottenham midfielder Adel Taarabt on loan until the end of the season in the club's bid to make the play-offs for a place in the Premiership.

The 19-year-old Morocco international has joined to get some first-team experience and made his debut as a substitute in Saturday's goalless draw at Southampton.

He said: "Other Championship clubs came in for me as well but QPR are a team that plays football in a way I like to play."

The Moroccan international - he made his debut for the national side last month in a friendly against the Czech Republic - knows the Championship will offer a physical test, but he is confident he can rise to the challenge.

"I consider myself to be an attacking midfielder. I can score, I can give assists, I can dribble and I can cross," he said.

Taarabt, who has played 15 games for Spurs since joining from Lens in 2007, is a vital addition to an injury-hit QPR squad lying in 12th place in the Championship, 10 points behind sixth-placed Preston.

QPR coach Paulo Sousa said: "We can still make the play-offs, but it is hard when you are without six or seven of your best players.

"We have had to bring in 17-year-olds, and it is not easy to push and motivate a squad when all your best players are absent.

"The teams above us are not pulling away, so there is a chance for us to qualify for the play-offs even now."







More on Sport